Pages

Thursday 23 October 2014

Why do I suddenly love this colour so much?

The colour: Salmon Pink
This colour gives the feminity and naivety of the typical pastel pink, but without feeling like a marshmallow when you wear too much of it. However I wouldn't want to run the risk of looking like a skinned salmon either. 
Pastel colours are clean, crisp but feel cold, making them perfect for summer. And with these pastels coming into A/W 2014 it just doesn't make sense to me to be wearing something that makes me feel cold. Being the mix of both orange and pink, salmon pink somehow feels warmer and more sophisticated even.   

 This is a blanket I bought from a second hand shop, when hunting for cheap interiors for my uni room. On the opposite side you get the white as the base colour and the pink coming through as the pattern. This is something interesting for me to think about when designing knitwear or woven textiles.
I love jewellery, I don't even wear that much, this hasn't been worn at all. It's a long piece which I bought to drape on my back with a cut out dress, feeling the 1920s great gatsby flapper vibe at the time.  It's covered in sequins and knitted with rope. I think the rope gives it an organic feel. 
Left is a jacket I spotted at the vintage market in Brick Lane, I love the drape and lightness of it, and also the subtle patterns. I love jackets! I think the right coat, jacket, cardigan can make an outfit, it creates more layers and depth. Right is a top I made out of vintage material, I love patterns, how can I not! I'm doing fashion textiles, I especially like brocade style patterns like this one. It also consists of one of my other favourite colours. MINT GREEN. I made it oversized with contrasting colours for the sleeves and back, and a statement zip. 
Also at the vintage market was a crop top and matching midi skirt covered in these sequins. I couldn't help but make the connection with current styles from topshop and the co-ords which are invading my depop app 24/7. 

I remember, at one stage of my life, I had a slight hatred for pink. To me, growing up with my barbie dolls and then my very pink room, it seemed alltogether a very childish colour. It put me in a box.. where I was still the silly little girly girl who likes all things pink. I didn't want to be that. And I think that really puts into perspective what this project is about, by researching and evaluating which subculture I belong to, I can try and find my own aesthetic to inform my designs. But do I want to be in a box? hell no! I am making a commitment, that I always challenge my ideas, not going back to the same things all the time.. Ironically. I like pink again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment