Pages

Wednesday 29 April 2015

PART FOUR: Hangout

Going back to the subculture assignment.. as part of the blog I had to look for a place where my subculture would hangout, luckily I happened to stumble upon it which I think makes it more real. There are many places which I love in London, Camden, just a train ride away, Brick Lane, Portobello Road but it takes time to explore these places and find somewhere that I really like. Here I just turned up for a gig and it was perfect. 

The Pheonix in Exeter is a "multi-artform" venue, it's a perfect artists' hangout, they host hundreds of events each year ranging from music, art, film, theatre and comedy as well as art workshops so you can enjoy your art with like-minded people. For the day there are several art galleries with new exhibitions to visit, there's a large auditorium for gigs and film, a digital hub complete with editing suites, artists studios, a radio station, sound recording studios and a print workshop, central to all of this is the cafe-bar which serves food and drink for day and night.

I was very observant of the people who went to the event when I looked at them I thought, this is my subculture, mostly young, groups of hippies, it was quite a laid back event so they dressed in what is ordinary wear for a casual night out but there were prominent styles. Everyone wants to stand out in their own little way, there was a lot of vintage clothing and adapted clothing to their own taste.



We went to the Pheonix to see a band called Backbeat Soundsystem. "Laden with groove, stomping bass and dub synths, Backbeat Soundsystem's traditional reggae style draws from numerous influences including funk, ska, pop and dub. The eight-piece band have honed an infectious, bass-led party style and an uplifting festival-friendly vibe." They definitely lived-up to that description,  I loved the vibe of the room everyone was dancing and bouncing and each song just flowed effortlessly to the next. I could imagine me and my own group of friends in London going to a night out like this.
I've kept listening to some of their songs, Fighting Bull, Losing Faith and I like I Spy as well. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who like Reggae, they put a very modern take on it. Reggae doesn't necessarily come into my music taste but they were great live and I would definitely go and see them again. 







No comments:

Post a Comment